Wednesday, September 14, 2005

What about the twelve-month school year?

I suppose this issue will continue to come up, but I don't see how it could ever work. We don't have the resources to run the schools for 10 months, we've cut back on summer school and after-school programs that would benefit struggling students. Why not restore worthy programs that have been cut instead of trying to revamp the whole system?

On a related topic, I met a parent the other day who asked why we have to start school before Labor Day. I've gotten used to this after 10 years, but it was a shock to me when my son was in Kindergarten. It does cut the summer vacation short and that bothers parents (most likely the same parents who would be against the 12-month school year). She also made the point that since Lowell goes back to school earlier, the students often get out of school way too early, leaving them at loose ends for half the month of June before summer camps start up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home